The GREAT Machine House Bake Off
Sunday February 23, 2020
The Great Machine House Bake Off continues February 23rd with LAYER CAKES
All manner of bakes are welcome, as long as they have cake and layers… Get creative with fillings, frosting and decoration! Think about having a cake that can be easily cut into small-ish pieces so that as many people can taste it as possible.
This month we have the pleasure of hosting guest judges Justin Gerardy of Standard Brewing, and Ashley Marshall of Bakery Nouveau. Justin makes a wide variety of consistently excellent beers at Standard, and we are excited to be pouring a Standard beer on our guest tap for the event. Bakery Nouveau makes some of the best cakes in the city, so its a privilege to have Ashley pick her favorites. They will be assessing the entries and picking a few winners, plus all attendees can participate in our People’s Choice vote to determine yet more winners!
Anyone can enter, just bring your bakes to the brewery by 5.30pm – more details below!
Join us every last Sunday of the month at the brewery in Georgetown at 5:30pm for the Great Machine House Bake Off, a mildly competitive potluck showcasing the baking talents of MHB patrons. A new theme will be presented each month varying from cakes and cookies, to bread and doughnuts. Entries will now be judged by a panel of guest celebrity judges from the local food and beer scene, in addition to our People’s Choice vote!
At the end of the 6 months a GREAT MACHINE HOUSE BAKE OFF CHAMPION will be named based on the points gathered throughout the year. The champion will receive a $100 gift card, trophy, and a custom GREAT MACHINE HOUSE BAKE OFF CHAMPION apron! Participants can choose to join in the fun for a single event or all for a greater chance to win the grand prize.
Bring your Baking GAME!
• Now open to all ages
• Participants must bring their creations to the brewery by 5:30pm on the last Sunday of the month.
• For the People’s Choice vote, participants and Patrons will receive one token to vote with every drink they purchase. (Participants may only vote for their own creation once)
• Participants must provide a list of ingredients with possible allergens.
• Votes will be counted at 7pm, and guest judges will reveal their top picks. Prizes will be awarded for both Judges picks and People’s choice.
• The 5 participants with the most tokens will be awarded the following points and be entered to be crowned the GREAT MACHINE HOUSE BAKE OFF CHAMPION!
o 1st Place: 10 points
o 2nd Place: 8 points
o 3rd Place: 6 points
o 4th Place: 4 points
o 5th Place: 2 points
o Everyone Else: 1 point
o Bonus Points: Participants may gain a bonus point for using MHB Beer in their bakes!
o JUDGES CHOICE: 1st Place: 10 Points
o JUDGES CHOICE: 2nd Place: 8 Points
o JUDGES CHOICE: 3rd Place: 6 Points
January 26, 2019 – Cookies
February 23, 2019 – Layer Cakes
March 29, 2019 – Ciabatta
April 26, 2019- Vegan desserts
May 31, 2019- Swiss Rolls/ Jelly Rolls
June 28, 2019- Doughnuts